The idea was to build a mobile workstation for my DeWALT DWE7491 table saw. I wanted a way to move my saw around, work at a comfortable height and combine that with more surface to work on in my shop.
It all started as many of my projects do, with making a SketchUp 3D model of what I want to build. For me, this is the easiest way to determine what I want to build exactly and what material I need. Below is a screenshot of what I ended up making, a download of the file is available at the bottom of the article.
The structure I came up with leaves all sides of the saw easily accessible. In the open space, I can add boxes to store things in and that can be pulled out when I need access. The back section is made with plywood so I also have some vertical surface when I need to clamp material vertically. On the bottom, I want to create a dust collection solution that moves with the saw plus some additional space for heavier things such as my welder.
I intend to expand on this design as I start using it so I kept the basis simple. From my experience, the final build evolves by fulfilling needs that become clear once it’s in use. Over-building the first version is easily done. In my case, it usually means that I end up pulling it apart and rebuilding part of it. This is also the reason I try not to use glue for shop projects.
I start by ripping down the wood that I need for the frame. I’m not cutting everything to size yet because I want to cut the remaining parts to size in place. This is mostly because I’m dealing with the odd dimensions of the saw. The frame will be assembled with half-lap joints for strength and because I don’t have to use glue for this joint to be strong. For the top section of the frame, I recessed a part of the front and back legs to form the joint you see below. I did this to maintain the strength of the top frame as much as possible. It allowed me to not have legs on the outside of the workbench and still have a strong enough frame that it wouldn’t bend under pressure from above. Which worked great!
Once the frame was assembled I first fit the floor around the legs and attached the wheels so it could be moved around. At that point, I could start working around the saw to fit the remaining parts. The cabinets on the side are made up out of a plywood top and bottom with 2 by 4 sides. The rear cabinet is made with just plywood to close it off more to dust coming off the saw.
The most challenging part was to fit everything tight around the saw without restricting the movement of the fence and blocking off access to the sides of the saw. In the end, I had to make some concessions in that area despite my best efforts. The quick-release for both the fence and the riving knife can only be accessed by lifting the saw up. Hopefully I can come up with a better solution for this in the future but for now, it works well enough.
The first version already has had quite some use and I’m happy with it so far. The biggest downside for me is that I don’t have a decent dust collection so the bottom is covered in dust after cutting some wood. I intend to solve this by improving the dust collection and I want to look at ways to further direct the dust to one spot. Besides the dust, the workbench works great.
The first addition I made almost directly after I finished the video was adding a drawer with longer cut-offs. I already had the box but it was sitting on my workbench catching dust so it was a quick win to make it into a drawer.
Downloads & Links
If you want to build something similar I’ve linked my 3D model below as a download. It’s in metrics since I have no clue how to use imperial. That’s Europe for you, sorry guys.
SketchUp 3D-model (Metric)
SketchUp 3D-model (Imperial) *Special thanks to John Grieda for converting the Metric file and sending it over to me to share with the rest of the world!
Measured parts (metric)
Imperial cut list with images
Instagram 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Hope this post has inspired you to make something!
And don’t forget to follow your excitement 🙂